Betsy A. Hirsch, Ph.D.
MMC 609 Mayo
Minneapolis, MN 55455
Dr. Hirsch uses cytogenetic techniques to elucidate constitutional and acquired chromosome abnormalities. In clinically oriented studies, her laboratory is involved in the development and application of high resolution chromosome banding and fluorescence in situ hybridization techniques. In more basic studies, research in Dr. Hirsch's laboratory is focused upon the identification of genetic and environmental factors that can predict an individual's cellular responses to the induction of DNA damage and can account for the observed inter-individual variability in these responses.
- Jackson College of Tufts University, Medford, MA (1976), B.A. (Psychology)
- University of Minnesota (1982), Ph.D. (Behavioral Genetics)
- University of Minnesota (1987), ABMG (Clinical Cytogenetics)
- Postdoctoral Associate, University of Minnesota, Genetics and Cell Biology, 1983 - 1986
- Assistant Professor/Assistant Director of Cytogenetics Laboratory, University of Minnesota Medical Center, Fairview, University of Minnesota, 1986 - 1993
- Associate Professor/Assistant Director of Cytogenetics Laboratory, University of Minnesota Medical Center, Fairview, University of Minnesota, 1993 - 1996
- Associate Professor/Director of Cytogenetics Laboratory at University of Minnesota Medical Center, University of Minnesota, 1996 - present
- Dolan M, Peterson B, Hirsch B. Array-based comparative genomic hybridization characterizes a deletion associated with a t(15;17) in acute promyelocytic leukemia. Am J Clin Pathol. 2008 Nov;130(5):818-23.
- McCullough J, Kahn J, Adamson J, Anderlini P, Benjamin R, Confer D, Eapen M, Hirsch B, Kuter D, Lazarus E, Pamphilon D, Stroncek D, Sugarman J, Wilson R. Hematopoietic growth factors--use in normal blood and stem cell donors: clinical and ethical issues. Transfusion. 2008 Sep;48(9):2008-25.
- Kidder BL, Oseth L, Miller S, Hirsch B, Verfaillie C, Coucouvanis E. Embryonic stem cells contribute to mouse chimeras in the absence of detectable cell fusion. Cloning Stem Cells. 2008 Jun;10(2):231-48.
- Chang Milbauer L, Wei P, Enenstein J, Jiang A, Hillery CA, Scott JP, Nelson SC, Bodempudi V, Topper JN, Yang RB, Hirsch B, Pan W, Hebbel RP. Genetic endothelial systems biology of sickle stroke risk. Blood. 2008 Apr 1;111(7):3872-9.
- Al-Sweedan, S, Neglia, J, Steiner ME, Bostrom, B, Casey T, and Hirsch BA, Characterization of patients with TEL-AML1 Positive acute lymphoblastic leukemia with single or multiple fusions. , Pediatric Blood and Cancer, 48(5):510,2007
- Tolar, J, Nauta A, Osborn M, Panoskaltsis A, McElmurry R, Bell S, Xia L, Zhou N, Riddle M, Scroeder TM, Westendorf J, McIvor S, Hogendoom P, Szuhai K, Oseth L, Hirsch B, Yant S, kay MA, Peister A, Prockop D, Fibbe e, Blazar B, Sarcoma Derived from Cultured Mesenchymal Stem Cells, Stem Cells 25(2):371, 2007
- Wolff DJ, Bagg A, Colley LD, Dewald GW, Hirsch BA, Jacky PB, Rao PN. Guidance for fluorescence in situ hybridization testing in hematologic disorders. Journal of Molecular Diagnostics 9(2):134, 2007
- Balciuniene J, Feng N, Iyadurai K, Hirsch B, Charnas L, Bill BR, Easterday MC, Staaf J, Oseth L, Czapansky-Beilman D, Avramopoulos D, Thomas GH, Borg A, Valle D, Schimmenti LA, Selleck SB. Recurrent 10q22-q23 deletions: a genomic disorder on 10q associated with cognitive and behavioral abnormalities. American Journal of Human Genetics. 80(5):938, 2007
- Heerema NA, Raimondi SC, Anderson JR, Biegel J, Camitta BM, Cooley LD, Gaynon PS, Hirsch B, Magenis RE, McGavran L, Patil S, Pettenati MJ, Pullen J, Rao K, Roulston D, Schneider NR, Shuster JJ, Sanger W, Sutcliffe MJ, Van Tuinen P, Watson MS, Carroll AJ. Sepcific extra chromosomes occur in a modal number dependent pattern in pediatric acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Genes, Chromosomes and Cancer. 46(7):684, 2007
- Shaffer LG, Beaudet.AL, Brothman AT, Hirsch B, Levy B, Martin CL, Mascarello JT, Rao, KW, Working Group of the Laboratory Quality Assurance Committee of the American College of Medical Genetics. Microarray analysis for constitutional cytogenetic abnormalities. Genetics In Medicine, 9(9):654, 2007
- Flynn CM, Hirsch B, Defor T, Barker JN, Miler JS, Wagner JE, Blazar BR, Burns LJ, Macmillan ML, Arora M, Weisdorf D. Reduced intensity compared with high dose conditioning for allotransplantation in acute myeloid leukemia and myelodysplatic syndrome: a comparative clinical analysis. American Jouranl of Hematology, 82(10):867, 2007
- Geurts AM, Collier LS, Geurts JL, Oseth LL, Bell ML, Mu D, Lucito R, Godbout SA, Green LE, Lowe SW, Hirsch BA, Leinwand LA, Largaespada DA, 2006, Gene mutations and genomic rearrangements in the mouse as a reulst of transposon mobilization from chromosomal concatemers. PLoS Genetics 2(9):e156,2006
- O’Neil P, Nicklaus J, Hirsch B, Jostes R, Hester T, Sullivan L, Albertini R, In-vitro studies of genotoxicity of ionizing radiation in human G(0) T lymphocytes. Environmental and Molecular Mutagenesis. 46(4):207, 2005
- Hirsch B, Brothman A, Jacky P, Rao K, Wolff DJ, Richards Cs, Popovich P, Watson M. Guidelines for Acquired Chromosome Abnormalities. Genetics in Medicine 7(7):509, 2005
For a complete listing of Dr. Hirsch's publications, please see the National Library of Medicine's PubMed Search.
- “Comparative Genomic Hybridization” Children’s Hospitals and Clinics, St. Paul, MN, July, 2007
- “G-CSF Treatment Associated Effect on Human Chromosomes” Hematopoietic Growth Factor Conference, Baltimore, Maryland, March 2007
- “FISH analyses in Pediatric Acute Myeloid and Lymphoid Leukemia” FISH Consensus meeting, Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York City, October, 2006
- “Cytogenetic Insights in Fanconi Anemia: Clinical and Research Ramifications” Cincinnati Children’s Medical Center, Cincinnati, Ohio, April, 2006
- “Cytogenetics of Acute Myeloid Leukemia” Children’s Oncology Workshop, St Louis, Missouri, June, 2006
- “The characterization and clinical significance of clonal chromosomal abnormalities in Fanconi anemia” International Fanconi anemia symposium, Geneva Switzerland, September 2005
- “Array CGH in the Investigation of Clonal Abnormalities in Fanconi Anemia” Invited symposium speaker at American Society of Human Genetics, November, 2005
- “Cytogenetic characteristics of malignancies in Fanconi D1-BRCA2 patients” Platform presentation at American Sociatey of Human Genetics, Los Angeles, California, November, 2003